The equalization phase consists essentially in a basin of hydraulic disconnection able to give a homogeneous flow and a uniform pollutant charge downstream of the basin itself. This solution improves the efficiency of downstream processes and reduce the size and management costs of next units.
The main reachable benefits are:
- Efficiency’s increase of biological processes, due to the elimination or reduction of pollution load’s shock, to dilution of any inhibitory substances and the stabilization of the values of pH, temperature, salinity, etc., which may affect the water treatment steps;
- Homogenization of the temperature of industrial wastewater, since bacteria are very sensitive to temperature changes;
- The improvement of the quality characteristics of the effluent and thickening in the secondary clarifiers, due to the better constancy of solid charges in inlet to the treatment plant;
- Reduction of the surface required for filtration treatment of effluent, improvement of filters efficiency and smoother backwash cycles, thanks to lower hydraulic loads which can be applied to these units;
- Optimization, in case of chemical or neutralization treatments, of chemical reagents, both as quantitative, both as efficiency of the process, for the effects of the regulation of inlet load.
Thanks to submerged flow makers and diffusers, the equalization tank is mixed and slightly aerated, so to avoid sedimentation or principles of anaerobic fermentation phenomena, which would cause unpleasant odors.
This technology is an integral part of the treatment process of a Biological plant.